Jackson County Commissioners declare state of emergency amid ongoing food scarcity

An ACCESS volunteer sorts through a box of bananas to be distributed to local food banks. Submitted photo
November 6, 2025

With SNAP recipients in limbo because of government uncertainty, county officials say they must ‘fight for resources’


Rogue Valley Times staff report

Jackson County commissioners declared a state of emergency Tuesday in response to food scarcity caused by the suspension of federal Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits.

Some 47,000 Jackson County residents who receive food benefits — nearly 14,000 of which are children or individuals living with disabilities — have been facing uncertainty since the announcement of suspension of SNAP benefits, previously known as food stamps, Nov. 1.

The Trump administration on Monday said that SNAP benefits would be restored, but Oregon officials report that federal funding for November SNAP benefits have not been received.

The declaration followed an order by a pair of judges that the U.S. Department of Agriculture keep the program running after more than two dozen states, including Oregon and Washington, sued the federal government for withholding funds.

With the ongoing shutdown, federal officials will tap into $4.6 billion in emergency funds, which falls short of a full month’s funding for SNAP benefits for 42 million Americans.

Trump administration officials have directed states to pay only half the amount people normally get for the month of November.

Jackson County Emergency Manager Delaney Richmond told the Jackson County Board of Commissioners during a Tuesday work session that the declaration would go into effect immediately and give county officials increased options for responding to food scarcity, including emergency procurement of goods and services.

Oregon is in the top three of states most dependent on food assistance, with some 18% of state residents receiving monthly SNAP benefits.

“Part of this declaration signals to the state, ‘Hey, we have no resources to really fix this. We don’t have money. We don’t have additional food that we can grow really fast or acquire really fast,” Richmond told the commission.

“So we are really reliant on what the state is going to be doing, and we’re working with the food banks to make sure that I can go advocate and fight for resources.”

The emergency declaration will remain in effect until the end of the calendar year or until SNAP funds are fully reinstated and being received, county officials said.

This story first appeared in the Rogue Valley Times. Reach reporter Buffy Pollock at 458-488-2029 or [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter @orwritergal.

Related stories:

Rogue Valley Food Systems Network coordinates to help food banks, pantries buy local produce from local farms to aid those in need during pause in SNAP benefits (Nov. 5, 2025)

A combined food drive and Oregon Senate town hall set for Medford on Saturday (Nov. 5, 2025)

Ashland Food Project launches campaign to keep up with demand (Nov. 4, 2025)

Trump administration must restart SNAP benefits by Wednesday, judge rules (Nov. 2, 2025)

SNAP recipients brace for benefit cutoff:  ‘I don’t know how to do it with nothing’ (Oct. 31, 2025)

Local food banks struggle as demand increases while funding decreases (Sept. 14, 2025)

Picture of Steve Mitchell

Steve Mitchell

Related Posts...

Our Sponsors

Latest posts

Crossword: CrosspOLLInation 2026 Spring #01

This week’s theme: selected course titles and categories from the OLLI@SOU 2026 Spring catalog. Several courses cover a trending tech topic that appears in circled letters. Solve puzzle in your browser or download and print. Next Friday’s crossword: CrosspOLLInation 2026 Spring #02. Check out the Mini crossword on Tuesdays.

Read More >

Relocations: We’ll never know how great a leader Malcolm X may have become

MLK Jr.: “Malcolm was still turning and growing at the time of his brutal and meaningless assassination. . . . Like the murder of Lumumba, the murder of Malcolm X deprives the world of a potentially great leader. I could not agree with either of these men, but I could see in them a capacity for leadership which I could respect, and which was just beginning to mature in judgment and statesmanship.”

Read More >

Obituary: Cheryl Rae Gilliam Minoletti

Obituary: Cheryl Rae Gilliam Minoletti passed away Tuesday, Jan. 20 following complications from heart surgery. She was 68. Infectious laughter, warmth, and compassion were felt by those who knew her. A celebration of her life will be held Saturday, March 28, in Eagle Point.

Read More >

Our Sponsors

Explore More...

This week's theme: selected course titles and categories from the OLLI@SOU 2026 Spring catalog. Several courses cover a trending tech topic that appears in circled letters. Solve puzzle in your browser or download and print. Next Friday's crossword: CrosspOLLInation 2026 Spring #02. Check out the Mini crossword on Tuesdays.
Owen Johnson: While it may be tempting to be unproblematic in the face of threats of violence, this is the desired effect. The most effective form of counter-protest is for local communities to monitor ICE activity.
Although many large regional theaters host students on their own campuses, only a few maintain educational outreach programs like OSF’s because of the high cost of school visits.
MLK Jr.: “Malcolm was still turning and growing at the time of his brutal and meaningless assassination. . . . Like the murder of Lumumba, the murder of Malcolm X deprives the world of a potentially great leader. I could not agree with either of these men, but I could see in them a capacity for leadership which I could respect, and which was just beginning to mature in judgment and statesmanship.”
The Ashland Independent Film Festival will spotlight homegrown talent Saturday, Feb. 21, during its revived Local Lens Spotlight at the Varsity Theatre. The one-night program features 13 short films by filmmakers from Jackson and Siskiyou counties, followed by a Q&A with the filmmakers and crew.

Don't Miss Our Top Stories

Get our newsletter delivered to your inbox three times a week.
It’s FREE and you can cancel anytime.

ashland.news logo

Subscribe to the newsletter and get local news sent directly to your inbox.

(It’s free)